- Communications and Resource Development Manager
- Cape of Good Hope SPCA
- Competitive and to commensurate with experience
- Grassy Park, Cape Town
- Deadline for applications
- 8 June 2012
The Cape of Good Hope (CoGH) SPCA, South African’s oldest and largest animal welfare organisation, seeks an experienced fundraiser and public relations specialist to manage its Communications and Resource Development Department from its offices in Grassy Park, Cape Town.
The CoGH SPCA is the leading animal welfare organisation in Cape Town ( www.spca-ct.co.za ) and delivers services throughout the greater Cape Town metropole. It touches the lives of thousandsof animals each year and operates a large Inspectorate, animal hospital, animal care centre (kennels and cattery), short-term wildlife care facility and horse and farm animal unit and relies almost entirely on public donations to fund its significant annual operating budget.
The senior management position is responsible for providing overall leadership, direction and management of the CoGH SPCA’s fundraising, communication and education activities in accordance with agreed strategic objectives and fundraising targets.
The new Communications and Resource Development Manager will be required to manage a team of 9 – 10 employees and oversee a multi-faceted resource development programme to increase donor retention and revenue. In addition the successful candidate will be required to manage all external communications activities and act as the custodian of the organisation’s public profile, ensuring a professional and respected reputation is maintained. The position is also responsible for overseeing the organisation’s education programmes.
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated with skills in the art of diplomacy.
The successful candidate must have over 5 years fundraising leadership experience, with a solid track record of meeting or exceeding fundraising targets. Strong staff management experience is essential. A tertiary degree in marketing, business management or related subject is required. Fluency in written and spoken English is essential.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
A senior position within the management team of the CoGH SPCA ( www.spca-ct.co.za ) , the incumbent is responsible for providing overall leadership, direction and management of the Cape of Good Hope SPCA’s fundraising, communication and education activities in accordance with agreed strategic objectives and fundraising targets.
- Develop and manage a diverse and multi-faceted resource development programme including direct mail, legacy/planned giving, trusts and foundations, major gifts, corporates, cause-related marketing, telemarketing competitions, events, challenge fundraising, charity shops and collection tin giving.
- Oversee the backend systems and processes to support all aspects of fund development, including developing tools for tracking fundraising revenue and donor prospects. Oversee the development of donor stewardship and supporter services programmes to generate growth of revenue from fundraising activities.
- Lead, direct, manage and mentor a team of 9 – 10 employees as well as key consultants and ensure that the Communications and Resource Development Department at the CoGH SPCA is well-managed and efficiently organised to achieve its short and medium term objectives and financial goals.
- Create an environment where staff is encouraged and motivated to achieve and exceed on their key performance areas and where they are supported, enabled and empowered to deliver through excellence and collaboration.
- Ensure adequately trained staff and systems are in place to produce the results required to meet the current and future departmental goals.
- Prepare through consultation with departmental unit managers, the department’s annual budget. Track departmental financial performance through effective budgetary management and monitoring. Communicate income trends with the CEO and board director responsible for the department timeously and recommend strategic adjustments where necessary.
- Build successful longer-term relationships with donors, volunteers and other key stakeholders.
- Manage the organisation’s telemarketing division including the development of strategic plans and operating systems for the efficient running of fundraising competitions. Ensure that staff employed as telemarketers are suitably trained and kept motivated and driven to achieve set targets.
- Lead, in collaboration with senior management, department staff and consultants, the development, planning, analysis and execution of the strategic and annual fundraising plans.
- Participate and contribute to management and board meetings relating to the strategic direction and resolution of operational challenges at the CoGH SPCA.
- Oversee all external communications activities and act as the custodian of the organisation’s public profile, ensuring a professional and respected reputation is maintained.
- Oversee the development of all media, website and social networking strategies towards the goal of increasing public awareness of the CoGH SPCA and do so within the prescribed rules and regulations.
- Oversee all fundraising and resource development materials (i.e. magazine, posters, annual report, newsletters, donor reports, etc) ensuring they meet agreed brand standards.
- Identify opportunities to grow revenue through new income generating initiatives by keeping abreast with local and international fundraising trends and encouraging creative thinking and a passion for fundraising throughout the CoGH SPCA.
- Represent and promote the CoGH SPCA with enthusiasm and professionalism, building and strengthening relationships with key donors, funders, prospective supporters and the media where appropriate.
- Support and supervise the Education Manager and assist in the
development of annual strategic objectives for this division.
- Experience managing staff and consultants.
- Leadership skills when dealing with staff and volunteers.
- Demonstrated capacity for problem solving.
- Ability to delegate to maximize resources.
- Ability to work effectively and facilitate multi-tasking.
- Respectful and supportive of others.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships and collaborative work approaches with both internal and external contacts.
- Passion for people and ability to build relationships.
- Team player with an ability to work harmoniously with people from varying backgrounds and cultures.
- Skillful diplomat
- Drive and passion to achieve results in pressurized and demanding environment.
- Deep compassion for animals and their welfare and commitment to mission of the CoGH SPCA.
- Creative and innovative with an ability to think big and forward.
- Minimum of 5 – 10 years of fundraising experience with proven track record in successfully meeting fundraising targets.
- University degree or equivalent combination of work experience and education in the communications/marketing field.
- Demonstrated strong leadership and experience (minimum 5 years) in managing, motivation and coaching fundraising and communication staff, ideally within an NGO.
- A fundraising generalist with proven track record in developing fundraising plans with lead to increased revenue.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with an ability to write fundraising proposals, press releases, edit magazines and newsletters.
- Ability to use and understand numbers to support all fundraising decisions.
- Previous experience in working with fundraising databases.
- Excellent general computer proficiency including Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint).
- Strong understanding of how web and social networking sites operate and ability to work with these communication mediums.