Inyathelo: The South African Institute for Advancement is seeking a new Executive Director. Based in Cape Town, Inyathelo’s work focuses on the financial sustainability of civil society organisations and universities and promoting philanthropic giving in South Africa.
The Executive Director reports to the Inyathelo board with overall operational oversight, supported by a team of directors.
Key duties and Responsibilities
- Develop the strategy, vision and mission
- Identify and conceptualise opportunities
- Understand risk, assess and make calculated decisions
- Bear prime responsibility for sustainable fundraising
- Network to build relationships and to create opportunities for support, both financial and other
- Maintain and strengthen relationships with external stakeholders and partners
- Ensure high-quality governance
- Oversee effective and efficient management of finances and resources
- Oversee sound human resource management and people development
- Oversee all communications and marketing activities
- Participate in Inyathelo training programmes and other Inyathelo capacity building activities.
Requirements and Competencies
- Post graduate education or ten years’ experience in the institutional or non-profit sector
- Executive Leadership experience within the non-profit sector
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills and the ability to engage with people at all levels;
- Understanding of and experience in the philanthropic and civil society sectors;
- Knowledge of university and non-profit advancement and development
- Public speaking skills and willingness to appear on radio and television;
- Capacity to fundraise within both the public and private sector (locally and internationally)
- Negotiation skills and ability to build partnerships within the civil society sector and more broadly
Shortlisted candidates will be required to attend interviews as well as undergo other assessments and verification checks. Applicants who have not been contacted within 8 weeks after the closing date of the advertisement should kindly regard the application as unsuccessful.
In making this appointment, Inyathelo reserves the right to apply the principles enshrined in the Employment Equity Act, its policies and plans.
For more information, see the ad from Action Appointments below: