Inyathelo has pioneered the concept of Advancement in South Africa. Over the past decade, we have developed a strong discourse relating to institutional Advancement in an African context, creating a recognition and acceptance of best practice in the field.
We believe that Advancement is not just a fancy word for fundraising. It is an integrated approach to engaging the external environment and positioning an organisation to attract support.
What makes our Advancement training different is that we offer a range of skills-development opportunities in line with your resource mobilisation needs - to assist you to keep funds flowing to your institution. We provide interventions on all ten key elements of Advancement: leadership; governance; strategy; planning; financial management; fundraising; human capacity; building relationships; monitoring and evaluation; voice; and visibility.
So, whether you need a broad overview or big picture stuff .. or you are looking for hands-on, technical, practical, skills-focused training, Inyathelo has ten years of Advancement experience and expertise to share with you.
At Inyathelo, we offer the following capacity development interventions:
- Rhodes University-accredited Advancement training: Inyathelo has formed a partnership with Rhodes Business School to develop a postgraduate diploma qualification in Advancement. As part of the development of this diploma, Rhodes and Inyathelo are offering short accredited certificate courses in Advancement. This course is aimed at Advancement professional keen on having university accreditation.
- Advancement Academies for NPO and higher education practioners: these annual 3-day learning events are designed to build the capacity of Advancement and fundraising practitioners, university academics and NPO administrators involved in donor management, community-building or the implementation of strategies to secure financial and other support. It provides a focused, consolidated skills development and peer-learning opportunity and explores critical aspects of Advancement.
- The ASK Inyathelo clinic services Advancement staff at universities and those who work in the non-profit sector. The clinic provides one-on-one coaching and mentorship opportunities; symposia; workshops and peer learning.
- Breakfast on 2nd Floor is just that – a lively, interactive early morning discussion over coffee and breakfast treats on current issues and events that affect the work we do in a larger context.
- Advancement Leadership Retreat: this is an annual 3-day event focused on high level strategy, key issues in higher education, and the role of Advancement in ensuring adequate institutional resourcing. It is aimed at Vice-Chancellors, Directors of Advancement at universities, and other senior university staff.
- Workshops for grantseekers happen throughout the year and usually take place over two days. We tailor the training to suit the needs of the participants but generally, we cover the following areas of work: strategically positioning your organisation to attract support which includes defining Advancement and Advancement ethics; understanding the donor landscape and prospect research; effective online strategies for the Advancement operation; and proposal writing.
- Workshops for grantmakers also happen throughout the year and are tailored to suit the needs of the participants. These workshops are aimed particularly at Foundation staff and those new to the grantmaking environment. The workshops focus on the development of funding strategies; making the application process easy for everybody; approaches to proposal review; interaction with grantees and potential grantees; Foundation investments and innovative approaches to making grants; and maximising grant impact.
- Consultancy Services - Inyathelo also offers bespoke training to individual universities and non-profit organisations to help them establish fully operational Advancement units.